- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old cinnamon bread
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugar and pie spice. Arrange half the bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spoon apples over bread; drizzle with half the caramel sauce. Sprinkle with pecans; top with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining caramel sauce.
- Remove strata from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- In a small microwave-safe dish, microwave reserved sauce, uncovered, 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Drizzle over strata. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Strata
Sort By :
Very good flavor but a little too sweet. Next time I will cut the sugar and trim the bread crust.
I made this for breakfast today. It was delicious. I used one cup of maple syrup and one cup of brown sugar. I didn't peel the apples, used galas. Everyone loved it. A keeper recipe. Janet
I prepped this for the Taste of Home Cooking School at Turning Stone Casino yesterday. It smelled amazing! It was fairly simple to make. The most "work" is peeling and chopping the apples. You can never go wrong with apples and caramel :)
We all loved this. It was a featured recipe in the TOH Cooking School I attended last week, and I knew I had to make it right away with the Asian pears we had picked last weekend and my husband's homemade cinnamon bread. I bet it is fantastic with apples also, but with pears it is to die for. Love it!