Caramel Apple Snack Mix Recipe
This recipe has been a real hit with family and friends of Melody Michaelis in Sycamore, Illinois. "It's simple, deliciously crunchy and makes up a party-sized portion! Crispix, Apple Jacks and caramel coating give it a unique flavor that's great for all ages.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:26 servings
- 7 cups popped popcorn
- 4 cups Crispix
- 4 cups Apple Jacks cereal
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1. In a large greased roasting pan, combine the popcorn, cereals and peanuts; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup; bring to a rolling boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Cook, without stirring, until mixture turns a medium amber color, about 8 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; quickly stir in vanilla and baking soda until mixture is light and foamy. Immediately pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
- 3. Bake at 250° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread mixture onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 5 quarts.
3/4 cup equals 198 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 192 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC