Caramel Apple Scones Recipe
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1 tablespoon caramel ice cream topping
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk and vanilla; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in apple. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 2. Pat into a 5-in. circle. Cut into four wedges. Separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle with caramel topping. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 278 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Caramel Apple Scones
"They were very good except I couldn't taste the apple/caramel very well. I would add more flavor"
"Lovely! Also good without the caramel drizzle."