A drizzle of caramel complements the apple and whole wheat flavors of these rustic-looking scones. —Arlene Cook, Bainbridge, Georgia
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1 tablespoon caramel ice cream topping
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk and vanilla; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in apple. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into a 5-in. circle. Cut into four wedges. Separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle with caramel topping. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Scones in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p37
Reviews for Caramel Apple Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 22, 2011
"They were very good except I couldn't taste the apple/caramel very well. I would add more flavor"
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2010
"Lovely! Also good without the caramel drizzle."