Caramel Apple Pie
I thought there must be a simpler (and less messy!) way to enjoy a caramel appleand I was right! I developed this recipe myself, and my caramel apple-loving family approved.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2-1/2 cups shredded peeled tart apples
- 35 caramels
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- Place apples in a strainer to drain. Place caramels and water in a
- double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water; heat for 10
- minutes or until caramels are partially melted. Cover and set aside,
- keeping caramels in pan over heated water.
- In a small bowl, whisk the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, flour and
- eggs. Squeeze excess moisture from apples and stir into egg mixture.
- Add peanuts. Add melted caramels and stir to mix. Pour into pie
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 496 calories, 21 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 312 mg sodium,