- 1 package spice or carrot cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 20 caramels
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 12 Popsicle sticks
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; fold in apples.
- Fill 12 greased or paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, cook the caramels and milk over low heat until smooth. Spread over cupcakes. Sprinkle with pecans. Insert a wooden stick into the center of each cupcake. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Cupcakes
"We used boxed carrot cake and chopped gala apples, btut left the nuts off. At one point I thought to use caramel sauce, instead of melting down caramels...I am glad we didn't! the regular square caramels add a delicious, old fashioned taste. Worth the extra few minutes to melt them down. Kids enjoyed and it was a cute idea to add the popsicle stick too."
"I didn't have enough apple, but these were still delicious! I used the boxed carrot cake."
"Over cooking the caramel turns it into hardened toffee. The longer it is cooked, the harder it becomes. I suggest you cut back your cooking time, TheresaW."
"OMG!!! It's so amazing, everyone loved these. The caramel was perfect and as others have said the caramel just kind of starts to run off the longer they sit, however it tastes great. I would not change the topping at all!!!! OOEY, GOOEY MESSY GREATNESS JUST LIKE A CARAMEL APPLE...this will be in my recipe book FOREVER :)"
"I needed to make more than 12, so I used a box spice cake mix, 3 cups of apples, and about 30 caramels. It made about 20 cupcakes, and they turned out good."