I combined ingredients from various apple crisp recipes to create this one. I like to use tart apples because they provide a balance to the sweetness of the caramels. —Melissa Williams, Peoria, Illinois
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 33 caramels, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Place the apples in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a heavy saucepan, melt 25 caramels with 2 tablespoons milk, stirring often; drizzle over apples.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, walnuts, salt and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, melt remaining caramels with remaining milk, stirring often until smooth. Drizzle over dessert and ice cream if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Crunch in Taste of Home October/November 2005, p29
Reviews for Caramel Apple Crunch
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review