Here’s the cream of the apple dessert crop. Fruit, caramel and cinnamon flavors enhance the rich, velvety custard. Served warm or chilled, it’s a classic end to a meal. —Cheryl Perry, Hertford, NC
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place apples in a microwave-safe dish; cover with water. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender; drain well. Arrange apples in the bottoms of six 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Top with caramel topping; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar and cinnamon; stir in cream. Heat over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared ramekins. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- If using a creme brulee torch, combine the remaining sugars and sprinkle evenly over custards. Heat sugar with the torch until caramelized. Serve immediately.
- If broiling the custards, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Combine remaining sugars; sprinkle over custards. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Creme Brulee in Country Woman August/September 2009, p36
Reviews for Caramel Apple Creme Brulee
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review