Meet the Cook: When I first made this pie for my family, the reactions weren't real words - they were more "Ooh!" and "Mmm!" I created it to enter in a local fair. My goal was an apple pie like no other, and it ended up winning third prize. ("That was very interesting!" one judge said.) Working with children is something I love. In fact, I hold "Fun with Food" classes after school for elementary students ages 6-8. My own family consists of my husband and our daughter, 11. -Lisa DiNuccio, Boxford, Massachusetts
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped topping
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar. Stir in apples and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently, or until tender.
- Stir in flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Drizzle caramel topping over pastry shell; sprinkle with pecans. Spoon apple mixture over pecans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, lemon juice and vanilla until smooth. Pour over apples. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the cream cheese layer comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Chill thoroughly. To serve, top with dollops of whipped topping; sprinkle with remaining pumpkin pie spice. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Cream Pie in Country Woman September/October 1997, p31
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review