"With its caramel topping, this bread is great for snacking," Valerie Long writes from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. "Low in fat but big on flavor, it's a winner that never lasts long in our house."
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, beat the yogurt, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to yogurt mixture and beat until just combined. Fold in apples and pecans.
- Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and milk to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover and cook for 1 minute. Cool slightly. Spread over cooled bread. Let stand for 15 minutes. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Caramel Apple Bread in Light & Tasty August/September 2005, p47
Reviews for Caramel Apple Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review