Caramel Apple Bites Recipe
This fun recipe, from Darlene Markel of Sublimity, Oregon, is one the kids will find appealing. Children can help by dipping the baked cookies in caramel and nuts —and also by eating the treats! "They just disappear at my house," Darlene details.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped unpeeled apple
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- Green toothpicks
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened; set aside to cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 3. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Flatten and place 1/4 teaspoon filling in center of each. Fold dough over filling and reshape into balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 5. In a small saucepan over low heat, cook caramels and evaporated milk until caramels are melted; stir until smooth. Insert a toothpick into each cookie and dip into caramel until completely coated; allow excess to drip off. Dip bottoms into nuts. Place on wire racks to set. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 292 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC