Caramel Apple Bars Recipe
These bars make a great fall dessert. We like to warm individual servings in the microwave and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It quickly became a family favorite. Maybe it'll become one of your family's, too.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 4-1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour, oats, salt and baking soda; mix well. Stir in pecans if desired. Set aside 2 cups. Press remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 2. For filling, toss apples with flour; spoon over the crust. In a saucepan, melt the caramels and butter over low heat; drizzle over apples. Top with the reserved oat mixture.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting into bars. Yield: 15-20 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 267 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Bars
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC