- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 4-1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour, oats, salt and baking soda; mix well. If desired, stir in pecans. Set aside 2 cups. Press remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- For filling, toss apples with flour; spoon over the crust. In a saucepan, melt the caramels and butter over low heat; drizzle over apples. Top with the reserved oat mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting into bars. Yield: 15-20 servings.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Bars
"Just made these for our adult kids' fall birthday party. (They were all born in the fall.) These bars were a big hit. I made them as written but omitted the nuts due to allergies. Unwrapping all the caramels and then worrying about them burning was a pain. Next time I will try warming a jar of caramel ice cream topping and drizzling that over the apples."
"these are great. We use ice cream on top of each bar or they are toooo rich!"
"Eat these hot with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and you will enjoy a little piece of heaven."
"The caramel burned when I went to do something else, so I did not use it. But the bars were very good without it!!! I eat them cold."