Caramel Apple Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans, optional
- 4-1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour, oats, salt and baking soda; mix well. Stir in pecans if desired. Set aside 2 cups. Press remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- For filling, toss apples with flour; spoon over the crust. In a saucepan, melt the caramels and butter over low heat; drizzle over apples. Top with the reserved oat mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting into bars. Yield: 15-20 servings.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Bars(3)
Sort By :
these are great. We use ice cream on top of each bar or they are toooo rich!
Eat these hot with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and you will enjoy a little piece of heaven.
The caramel burned when I went to do something else, so I did not use it. But the bars were very good without it!!! I eat them cold.