Caramel and Apple Cheesecake Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-fat graham cracker crumbs (about 6 whole crackers)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) fat-free cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cups egg substitute
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- 1. In a bowl, combine the crumbs, nuts, brown sugar and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook apples over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- 3. In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg substitute and sour cream just until blended. Stir in apple mixture and walnuts. Pour into crust. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until center is almost set. Turn oven off; leave cheesecake in oven with door ajar for 30 minutes.
- 4. Remove from oven. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan. Before serving, drizzle with caramel topping. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 351 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fruit, 2 fat