Cappuccino Cherry Trifle Recipe
Field editor Katie Sloan of Charlotte, North Carolina says, "This is a rich dessert that's as pretty to look at as it is good to eat. It's the perfect complement to any meal."
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. For custard, combine the sugar, cornstarch, coffee granules and cocoa in a large saucepan. Stir in milk and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until cool.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold 2-1/2 cups whipped cream into cooled custard. Set aside the remaining whipped cream for garnish.
- 4. Place half of the cake cubes in a 3-qt. trifle bowl. Drain cherries, reserving juice; sprinkle cake with 3-4 tablespoons cherry juice. Top with half of the cherries, 1/3 cup chocolate chips and half of the custard mixture. Repeat layers. Garnish with reserved whipped cream and remaining chocolate chips. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 490 calories, 31 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 191 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC