Cappuccino Cherry Trifle Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. For custard, combine the sugar, cornstarch, coffee granules and cocoa in a large saucepan. Stir in milk and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until cool.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold 2-1/2 cups whipped cream into cooled custard. Set aside the remaining whipped cream for garnish.
- 4. Place half of the cake cubes in a 3-qt. trifle bowl. Drain cherries, reserving juice; sprinkle cake with 3-4 tablespoons cherry juice. Top with half of the cherries, 1/3 cup chocolate chips and half of the custard mixture. Repeat layers. Garnish with reserved whipped cream and remaining chocolate chips. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 cup: 490 calories, 31g fat (18g saturated fat), 191mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Cappuccino Cherry Trifle
"This is one of my favorite desserts. The combination of coffee, cherries and chocolate gives it just the right amount of sweetness."