Cantonese Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown pork in oil in batches. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Pour tomato sauce mixture over pork. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Add pineapple; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice): 231 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 889mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein
Reviews for Cantonese Sweet and Sour Pork
"Great recipe for my pot luck at work! I did saute the onions and [red] peppers along with fresh mushrooms and everyone raved about it. Will definitely hang on to this one."
"Great change in flavors. Loved it."
"Nice blend of flavors; very tender pork; and quite easy to make. Family really liked it!"
"Just made this tonight-had mostly everything on hand. Family loved it!!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.