Cantonese Beef Recipe
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Drain oranges, reserving juice; set oranges aside. In a Dutch oven, brown beef and onion in oil; drain. Stir in the water, soy sauce, ginger and reserved juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- 2. Add the celery, green pepper and water chestnuts. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in reserved oranges. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
One 3/4-cup serving (calculated without rice) equals 233 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 468 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Cantonese Beef
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.