This recipe is one of my favorite ways to eat blueberries. That delicious fruit is just one of the important crops grown here in the fertile Willamette Valley. They're grown for commercial use, but we usually pick about 60 pounds each summer for pies and other dishes.
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 cantaloupe, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute to equal 1-1/2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, blueberries, celery, grapes and almonds. In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Pour over the chicken mixture; toss to coat. Spoon into cantaloupe halves. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cantaloupe with Chicken Salad in Country June/July 1994, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Cantaloupe with Chicken Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 18, 2013
"This was an awesome lunch for friends and family. Everyone was TOTALLY impressed! Thanks for yet another way to eat chicken!"