- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe cantaloupe, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light & fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cantaloupe until blended (mixture will appear curdled). Fold in nuts.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Cantaloupe Nut Bread in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p59
Reviews for Cantaloupe Nut Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 6, 2011
"I finally found a ToH recipe that i don't like! I was skeptical, but decided to try it anyway as i had some fresh cantaloupe that needed to be eaten. This sounded just way too weird and it is. I didn't like it at all."