- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 lasagna noodles
- 1 can (24 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- CREAM SAUCE:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in olive oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in spinach. Cook about 5 minutes or until all the water has evaporated and the spinach starts to stick to the pan, stirring constantly,. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, brown meat; drain and add to spinach mixture. Stir in the cheese, cream, eggs, oregano, salt and pepper; mix well. Set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain. Cut each noodle in half widthwise; spread out noodles side by side on a large piece of foil. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling at one end of noodle; roll up. Repeat with remaining noodles and filling.
- Pour about 1 cup of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place two rolls, seam side down, vertically on both sides of the baking dish. Place remaining rolls in four rows of three rolls each; set aside.
- For cream sauce, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper. Spread cream sauce over lasagna rolls. Cover with remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 375°, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Cannelloni
Sort By :
"OMG! My four year old twin boys ate spinach. And liked it! This is a really good recipe - flavorful and delicious. A definite keeper."
"This is an amazing dish!! I made for my family and got rave reviews!"