"Reduced-fat sausage, white beans and veggies make this nutritious soup plenty filling. Plus, It warms you from head to toe." notes Susan Coryell of Huddleston, Virginia. "If you are feeling creative, try adding some chopped fresh carrots along with onion and pepper...or more chicken broth for a 'soupier' effect," she suggests.
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage in oil for 2 minutes. Add green pepper and onion. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic: cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, wine, Italian seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and coleslaw mix. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beans are heated through and cabbage is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cannellini Comfort Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p23
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Cannellini Comfort Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review