- 2 packages (19 ounces, each) Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausages
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans, sorted and rinsed
- 7 cups water
- 10 fresh sage leaves, divided
- 1 medium Roma tomato, cored and cut in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 2/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup Mascarpone cheese
- In a large bowl, pour beans, add water to a level of 3 inches above beans and soak for 6 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Place beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven; add 7 cups of water, 5 sage leaves and tomato. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are almost tender.
- Drain and reserve beans; discard liquid, sage and tomato. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, remaining sage, onions, carrots, celery, red pepper flakes and sauté until tender. Add beans, crushed tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, continue to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, prepare sausages according to package directions. Drain. Cut sausage links into thirds. Just before serving, gently stir mascarpone cheese into beans. Spoon prepared beans into individual bowls and top with sausage pieces. Garnish with additional fresh sage. Serve. Yield: Serves 8-10.
Originally published as Cannellini Beans and Italian Sausage in Johnsonville® Sausage 2014
Reviews for Cannellini Beans and Italian Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 30, 2013
I substituted canned beans (drained and rinsed) for the dried, which cut the amount of prep time down. This is a recipe my family enjoyed, so I will make it again.
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Side Dishes >
- Johnsonville® >