Cannellini Bean Salad
"I've had this recipe quite a long time, although I have changed it somewhat from the original," comments Alden Thornton from Warrenton, Oregon. "It's always been popular, particularly when served at picnics and potlucks." Tip: If you are crunched for time, instead of roasting the pepper yourself, use roasted red peppers sold in jar, often near the pickles and condiments.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut red pepper in half; remove seeds. Broil pepper cut side down 4
- in. from the heat until skin is blistered and charred, about 8
- minutes. Immediately place pepper in a small bowl; cover and let
- stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Cut pepper into strips; place in a
- large bowl. Add the beans, onion and basil. In a jar with a
- tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper; shake
- well. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 190 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat,