- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 10 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 can (19 ounces) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, cook onions in butter and oil until tender. Add wine or broth and brown sugar; cook 5 minutes longer. Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions.
- Add the beans, broth, garlic, basil and pepper to the onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain linguine; toss with onion mixture. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cannellini 'n' Onion Linguine in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p29
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Cannellini 'n' Onion Linguine
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 24, 2009
I think it was a little bland. If I make it again, I think I'll add some sun dried tomatoes or maybe some peas and fresh basil instead of dried.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >