Ripe for giving—not to mention munching—are these tasty confections from Beverly Mix of Missoula, Montana. "I've brought batches to Christmas cookie exchanges for years, and they're always a hit," she reveals.—Beverly Mix, Missoula, Montana
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup each red and green decorator's sugar
- In a bowl, combine walnuts, coconut and gelatin. Stir in milk and vanilla; mix well. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Meanwhile, combine water and green food coloring; add almonds. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until almonds are deep green. Drain and let dry on paper towels. Using rounded teaspoonfuls of dough, form into strawberry shapes. Roll sides in red sugar; dip top end into green sugar. Insert an almond in the top for a stem. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Originally published as Candy Strawberries in Country Woman November/December 1996, p42
Reviews for Candy Strawberries
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review