Candy Orange Slice Fruitcake Recipe
My version of yule fruitcake has a citrusy twist. When you share it, be prepared to pass around the recipe.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound candy orange slices
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups candied cherries
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the applesauce, eggs and buttermilk. In a large bowl, combine the orange slices, pecans, coconut, cherries, dates and 1 cup of flour; toss to coat. Combine the baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to the buttermilk mixture. Fold in orange slice mixture.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 300° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 900 calories, 37 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 383 mg sodium, 139 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC