My version of yule fruitcake has a citrusy twist. When you share it, be prepared to pass around the recipe.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound candy orange slices
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups candied cherries
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the applesauce, eggs and buttermilk. In a large bowl, combine the orange slices, pecans, coconut, cherries, dates and 1 cup of flour; toss to coat. Combine the baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to the buttermilk mixture. Fold in orange slice mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 300° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Candy Orange Slice Fruitcake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p40
Reviews for Candy Orange Slice Fruitcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review