- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound candy orange slices
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups candied cherries
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the applesauce, eggs and buttermilk. In a large bowl, combine the orange slices, pecans, coconut, cherries, dates and 1 cup of flour; toss to coat. Combine the baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to the buttermilk mixture. Fold in orange slice mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 300° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Candy Orange Slice Fruitcake(4)
Sort By :
My first time trying a fruitcake recipe, and boy this one is a KEEPER! I added a small jar of red maraschino cherries (drained) for extra color, and it came out perfect. It's a beautiful cake, it's delish!, and Everyone loved it! =) Excellent!
I made this for a fruit cake loving friend and got hooked on it myself! I used several sized mini loaf pans. All baked well and came out superb. You can fill the mini loaf pans to just below the brim and not worry about it rising and spilling out. This is a keeper for me. The great thing about this recipe is you don't have to double it. You will get several mini loaves for several goody trays. -Sharon Allison, Grinnell Iowa
EASY AND WONDERFUL TASTE
EASY AND WONDERFULTASTE