Candy House Decorator Icing
This frosting can be made a day ahead if the frosting container is sealed tightly and refrigerated. It dries quickly, so keep unused portions covered. One batch will frost 5 small milk carton candy houses. —Susan Davidson, Elm Grove, Wisconsin
0 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3)
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a
- boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads
- 234° (soft-ball stage).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar mixture,
- beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is
- dissolved, about 8-10 minutes. Use to decorate gingerbread houses or
- other holiday projects as desired. Yield: 5 cups.