- Shoestring red licorice, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- Assorted candies of your choice: Gummi Life Savers, Skittles, spice drops, licorice bites, Good & Plenty and Junior Mints
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, oil, eggs, vinegar and
- vanilla until combined. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa,
- baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until
- smooth. Beat in the egg, salt and food coloring. Fold in chocolate
- chips. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls into the center of each
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into
- cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and food coloring. Add
- enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cupcakes.
- Poke shoestring licorice pieces into marshmallows to create antennae;
- insert into cupcakes. Use candies to decorate alien faces. Store in
- the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 404 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.