- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Yellow and orange paste food coloring
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Tint one portion yellow. Divide remaining dough into two-thirds and one-third portions. Color the larger portion orange; leave smaller portion plain.
- Shape each portion of dough into two 8-in. logs. Flatten top and push sides in at a slight angle. Place orange logs on yellow logs; push sides in at a slight angle. Top with white logs; form a rounded top. Wrap each in plastic; refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Candy Corn Cookies
"Thanks for catching our error - but we apologize for it. The cookies should be sliced 1/4-in. thick. It will be corrected here soon.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"These cookies are so cute. There is a typo. You need to cut them 1/4 inch slices to get 5 dozen cookies."
"These cookies are so cute. It must be a typo error. The cookie recipe should read cut 1/4 inch in order to get 5 dozen cookies."
"These cookies were cute and delicious. However, it was kind of time consuming to color all the dough and shape it into the logs. Slicing the cookies was definitely the easy part! This recipe is also in a T.O.H. cookbook and it says to cut them into 1/4 inch slices. I like the ornament idea and might try it this Christmas."
"I'm also confused by the 8" long logs. Should it have been 18" long. The cookies were fun to make, but were the size of my palm."