Candy Cane Souffle Recipe
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 12 candy canes, crushed (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream and additional crushed candy canes, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add crushed candy canes. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in extract; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites and sugar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add salt; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add reserved candy cane mixture; beat until slightly thickened. Fold in egg white mixture.
- 4. Pour into a large glass dessert bowl or ten 6-ounce dessert dishes. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with whipped cream and crushed candy if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup ( calculated without garnishes) equals 394 calories, 26 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Candy Cane Souffle
"Next time I would add 2 drops of red food coloring just to make it a little more pink. Otherwise, easy to make & light & fluffy!"
"This was a fun and pretty dessert and tasted yummy."