- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup red candied cherries, quartered
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine warm milk, sugar, shortening, egg, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add cherries. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; let rest 10 minutes. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12x7-in. rectangle. Cut each into twelve 1-in.-wide strips. Twist each strip and place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets, curving one end like a cane. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Candy Cane Rolls
Sort By :
"Very nice recipe!"
"These rolls have been a hit with my friends and family this Christmas! Everyone has enjoyed them. They are easy to make! Delicious!"
"I made these rolls today. They turned out wonderful. I would definitely recommend them. I will definitely be making these again. They are not difficult to make. I do recommend cutting up the candied cherries into very small pieces before adding to the dough--it makes it easier to work with the dough, and they look prettier. I used my own white icing recipe, but I did everything else the same as directed. When baked and iced, these rolls look very professional, and they taste great. They are nice enough to share for Christmas exchanges. I shared some with a co-worker today; she loved them. Thank you Janice Peterson!"
"I made these from the time they first came out. My kids loved them at Christmas. They are really good!"