Candy Cane Ice Cream Recipe
With two family milk cows, I've become known for making all kinds of ice cream. At Christmas, family and friends request this minty treat.Sandra McKenzie, Braham, Minnesota
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup finely crushed peppermint candy
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in honey and salt until combined. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and extract. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Add candy the last 3 minutes of freezing. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.
Originally published as Candy Cane Ice Cream in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p70
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Candy Cane Ice Cream(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review