Candy Cane Coffee Cakes Recipe
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 5-1/4 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) finely chopped dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- In a saucepan, heat sour cream until lukewarm. Set aside. Dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, add sour cream, softened butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour. With an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Stir in just enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide into 3 equal parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll each part into a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Place on greased baking sheets. With a scissors, make 2-in. cuts at 1/2-in. intervals on the long sides of rectangle. Combine apricots and cherries; spread one-third of the mixture down the center of each rectangle. Crisscross strips over filling. Stretch dough to 22 in. and curve to form cane. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes. While warm, brush canes with melted butter. Combine icing ingredients and drizzle. Yield: 3 coffee cakes.
Reviews for Candy Cane Coffee Cakes(3)
Sort By :
I learned to make these in high school and have made 1-2 batches every year since it is so easy. I make mine with the cherries from can pie filling. I also use green & red sprinkles when the icing is warm. So yummy!
I have made this recipe every christmas for 30 years. For the icing I use the marchino cherry juice instead of water and decorate it with cherry halves.
I have been making this recipe for years and it is always a big hit!!!!!!! At one time I made it every year since the 1970s & now have been requested to make it again.
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cake with Sour Cream >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >