Candy Cane Coffee Cakes Recipe
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5-1/4 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) finely chopped dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- In a saucepan, heat sour cream until lukewarm. Set aside. Dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, add sour cream, softened butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour. With an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Stir in just enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into 3 equal parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll each part into a 15x6-in. rectangle. Place on greased baking sheets. With a scissors, make 2-in. cuts at 1/2-in. intervals on the long sides of rectangle. Combine apricots and cherries; spread one-third of the mixture down the center of each rectangle.
- Crisscross strips over filling. Stretch dough to 22 in. and curve to form cane. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 15-20 minutes. While warm, brush canes with melted butter. Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over tops. Yield: 3 coffee cakes.
Reviews for Candy Cane Coffee Cakes
Sort By :
I learned to make these in high school and have made 1-2 batches every year since it is so easy. I make mine with the cherries from can pie filling. I also use green & red sprinkles when the icing is warm. So yummy!
I have made this recipe every christmas for 30 years. For the icing I use the marchino cherry juice instead of water and decorate it with cherry halves.
I have been making this recipe for years and it is always a big hit!!!!!!! At one time I made it every year since the 1970s & now have been requested to make it again.
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cake with Sour Cream >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >