Candy Cane Coffee Cake Recipe
Dotted with dried apricots and maraschino cherries, this tender coffee cake has a festive flavor and look. I love to serve it at Christmastime for my family, fellow teachers and students. It makes a welcome holiday gift, too. -Linda Hollingsworth, Quitman, Mississippi
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:36 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm sour cream (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Additional cherries, halved
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the sour cream, 4 tablespoons butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 14-in. x 7-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet.
- 4. Combine apricots and cherries; spoon down the center of each rectangle. On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips about 2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Curve top.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over warm coffee cakes. Combine confectioners' sugar and cold water until smooth; drizzle over the tops. Garnish with additional cherries. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
1 serving (1 each) equals 182 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC