Candy Cane Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm sour cream (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Additional cherries, halved
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the sour cream, 4 tablespoons butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 14-in. x 7-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet.
- Combine apricots and cherries; spoon down the center of each rectangle. On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips about 2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Curve top.
- Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over warm coffee cakes. Combine confectioners' sugar and cold water until smooth; drizzle over the tops. Garnish with additional cherries. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Candy Cane Coffee Cake
Sort By :
Delicious! Would highly recommend. Was very easy to make and, since it makes 3, it's a great gift to give away during the holidays. I didn't bake it quite as long as the recipe recommends to prevent it from getting too brown and hardening on top. I'd also recommend drizzling the icing on after the cakes cool a bit.
I have made these for Christmas brunch for years. I do add chopped dates and golden raisins to the filling just to make it a little more tasty and less dry.
We make this every year with Christmas brunch. It is wonderful!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cake with Sour Cream >