Candy Cane Chocolate Loaves Recipe
Having many leftover candy canes after Christmas inspired me to combine them with a favorite chocolate bread recipe. —Shelly Platten, Amherst, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons crushed candy canes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat three 8x4-in. loaf pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites, eggs, coffee, yogurt, oil and extracts until blended.
- 2. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to brown sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 3. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Drizzle melted white baking chocolate over loaves. Sprinkle with crushed candies. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 162 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC