Having many leftover candy canes after Christmas inspired me to combine them with a favorite chocolate bread recipe. —Shelly Platten, Amherst, Wisconsin
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat three 8x4-in. loaf pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites, eggs, coffee, yogurt, oil and extracts until blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to brown sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Drizzle melted white baking chocolate over loaves. Sprinkle with crushed candies. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Candy Cane Chocolate Loaves in Healthy Cooking December/January 2010, p49
Reviews for Candy Cane Chocolate Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review