Candy Cane Butter Cookies
Whip up a batch of these special cookies to share with your friends during the holiday season.—American Dairy Assoc, Stacy Duffy, Chicago, Illinois
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 to 12 drops red food coloring
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg yolk, extracts and salt until
- light and fluffy. Gradually add flour. Remove half of dough from
- bowl. Add food coloring to remaining half; mix well. Wrap doughs
- separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Shape teaspoonfuls of dough from each portion into 4-in. ropes. Place
- ropes side by side; press together gently and twist. Place 2 in.
- apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Curve one end to form a
- cane. Refrigerate for 5 minutes or until firm.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from
- pan to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 173 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium,