Everyone in my family loves cupcakes, so I experimented to create these cupcakes that fit my family's tastes. I also tried to make them healthier. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! —Edie DeSpain, Logan, Utah
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Snickers candy bars (2.07 ounces each), finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Stir in the candy bars.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups one-third full with batter. Drop filling by tablespoonfuls into the center of each cupcake (cups will be about half full). Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the filling comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in the milk, then confectioners' sugar. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Candy Bar Cupcakes in Healthy Cooking June/July 2009, p31
Reviews for Candy Bar Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review