Candy Apple Walnut Pie Recipe
The South is known for apple pies, but this one is not your typical apple pie! The filling includes red-hot candies, and instead of a regular double crust, you simply crumble a frozen pastry shell and sprinkle it over the top. You can peel the apples if you wish or leave them unpeeled.
- 6 cups sliced tart apples
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup red-hot candies
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 frozen deep-dish pastry shells (9 inches)
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the apples, walnuts, red-hots, 1/3 cup sugar and flour; toss to coat. Spoon into one pastry shell. Crumble the remaining pastry shell into 1/2-in. pieces; toss with remaining sugar. Sprinkle over filling.
- 2. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Candy Apple Walnut Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC