- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lime juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt; add to apples and toss lightly.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust and trim even with edge; fill with apple mixture. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender.
- For topping, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar and cream; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in pecans.
- Pour over top crust. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until bubbly. Place on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Candy Apple Pie
"I have made this pie 3 times now. The last 2 times I didn't even bother making the topping, it is just as delicious without it. I use 4 large Gala apples & might sneak in a 5th the next time I make it. It freezes well, so it's a great pie to make in advance. I also substitute lemon juice for the lime & only use about a tablespoon. Another reviewer stated you need to cook the apples before adding them to the pie. But I never have & it has turned out perfect every time & I bake it exactly as the directions state."
"I have been making this pie since I first saw it many years ago in Taste of Home. It was the only apple pie my mother would spend her calories on. My mom has gone to heaven, so now I think of how much she enjoyed it , and usually I make it only for the holidays now. I use one pear and at least two different varieties of apples."
"Loved it! Just added a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it was the perfect sweetness! Very easy to make also."
"Although this isn't the exact recipe I have and made, it's the closest one. The recipe that I have from Taste of Home calls for 1/2 tsp cinn. or nutmeg. Under topping it calls for 1/4 cup butter/margarine, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 T heavy cream, and 1/2 cup chopped pecans. I've had this recipe card for probably 17 years and this is the first time I've made this pie. It was excellent and my kids loved it as much as the apple pie that I make every Thanksgiving and Christmas."
"I won a pie Contest with this recipe!! I make it several times a year for different occassions...sometimes, just because :) Easy and So Yummy!!"
"My family really enjoys this pie. The carmel topping really sets the crust off. I prefer the lemon juice in the recipe vs the lime juice. My grandmother always used McIntosh Apples & lemon juice. Very Good Recipe - try it out you won't be disappointed."