This stew has been tops in our home for years. The aroma as it bakes makes everyone's mouth water and the gravy is divine on mashed potatoes.—Gertie Brooks, Almost, Michigan
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/3 cup Burgundy wine
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- Brown meat in hot oil; salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to 2-qt. baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients; pour
- over meat. Cover and bake at 350° about 2 hours or until meat is
- tender, stirring occasionally. Add small amount of beef broth if you
- like more gravy.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.