Dress up ordinary ice cream for the yuletide season by mixing in bits of cranberry-chocolate bark and candied tangerine peel. The unsual flavor combination is a refreshing surprise.
- 3 tangerines
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- ICE CREAM:
- 2 cups 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- With a sharp knife, score each tangerine, cutting peel into four wedge-shaped sections. Loosen and remove peel from each with a spoon (save fruit for another use).
- Place tangerine peels in a large heavy saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and repeat. Cool for 5 minutes. Carefully scrape off excess pulp from peel.
- In another saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar and water; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add tangerine peels. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tangerine pieces are transparent, stirring occasionally.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer candied peel to a wire rack placed over a baking pan. Let stand for 1 hour. Toss candied peel in remaining sugar. Let stand for 8 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt baking chips; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. In a large heavy saucepan, heat milk and 1/2 cup sugar until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, melted chocolate and remaining sugar. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into chocolate mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- For bark, line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with foil; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in cranberries. Spread into prepared pan. Chill until firm.
- Chop bark into small pieces; finely chop candied peel. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; stir in 1 cup chocolate bark and 1/2 cup candied peel. Freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Serve with remaining candied peel and bark. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Candied Tangerine Chocolate Ice Cream in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p117
Reviews for Candied Tangerine Chocolate Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review