Candied Tangerine Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
Dress up ordinary ice cream for the yuletide season by mixing in bits of cranberry-chocolate bark and candied tangerine peel. The unsual flavor combination is a refreshing surprise.
- 3 tangerines
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- ICE CREAM:
- 2 cups 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- With a sharp knife, score each tangerine, cutting peel into four wedge-shaped sections. Loosen and remove peel from each with a spoon (save fruit for another use).
- Place tangerine peels in a large heavy saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and repeat. Cool for 5 minutes. Carefully scrape off excess pulp from peel.
- In another saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar and water; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add tangerine peels. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tangerine pieces are transparent, stirring occasionally.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer candied peel to a wire rack placed over a baking pan. Let stand for 1 hour. Toss candied peel in remaining sugar. Let stand for 8 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt baking chips; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. In a large heavy saucepan, heat milk and 1/2 cup sugar until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, melted chocolate and remaining sugar. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into chocolate mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- For bark, line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with foil; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in cranberries. Spread into prepared pan. Chill until firm.
- Chop bark into small pieces; finely chop candied peel. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; stir in 1 cup chocolate bark and 1/2 cup candied peel. Freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Serve with remaining candied peel and bark. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Candied Tangerine Chocolate Ice Cream in Taste of Home Christmas Annual
Reviews for Candied Tangerine Chocolate Ice Cream(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Birthday Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Ice Cream >
- Chocolate Ice Cream Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Dried Cranberry Recipes >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream >