- In a large skillet, combine the sugar, butter and potatoes; cook and
- stir for 15-20 minutes or until syrup is golden brown. Remove from
- the heat and mash. Stir in the lemon juice, salt and vanilla. Cool
- to room temperature.
- Roll out pastry to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 5-1/2-in.
- round cookie cutter. Spoon 2 tablespoons filling onto half of each
- circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press
- edges with a fork to seal.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry pies
- in batches for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 14
Nutritional Facts: 1 pie equals 650 calories, 44 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 457 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.