- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups shortening
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine the water, eggs and vinegar; gradually add to dry ingredients, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potato in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or just until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, combine the sugar, butter and potatoes; cook and stir for 15-20 minutes or until syrup is golden brown. Remove from the heat and mash. Stir in the lemon juice, salt and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Roll out pastry to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 5-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Spoon 2 tablespoons filling onto half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry pies in batches for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 14 pies.
Originally published as Candied Sweet Potato Pies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p118
Reviews for Candied Sweet Potato Pies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review