Candied Pecan Pear Salad Recipe
For special occasions, I like to dress up packaged salad greens with sweet pears, crunchy pecans and a slightly tart pomegranate dressing.—Douglas Wasdyke, Effort, Pennsylvania
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds, divided
- 1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 large pear
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 packages (5 ounces each) spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1. In a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add pecans; cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon; cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- 2. For dressing, in a blender, combine 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- 3. Cut pear into thin slices; sprinkle with lemon juice. In a salad bowl, combine the greens, pears, blue cheese and candied pecans. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup equals 252 calories, 24 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC