A good friend of mine gave me the recipe for these yummy, rich date bars. Chopped candied orange slices really make them special. I dip my kitchen shears in hot water to make cutting the orange slices a little easier.
- 1 package (7 ounces) orange candy slices
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 pound chopped dates
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- Cut orange slices horizontally in half, then into 1/4-in. pieces; set aside. In a saucepan, combine the sugar and 2 tablespoons flour. Stir in water until smooth. Add dates. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread date mixture over batter; sprinkle with reserved orange pieces. Spread remaining batter over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Candied Orange Date Bars in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2006, p61
Reviews for Candied Orange Date Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2010
"I made these for Christmas and everyone loved them and requested I make them again. They were a little bit of work but well worth it."