This is wonderful "jazzed-up" box cake. It's an easy way to make a rich cake for a special occasion without having to bake it from scratch. The chocolate and orange are a great flavor combination. Topping it off are sliced almonds.
Recommended: Grandma's Best Desserts
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup chopped orange candy slices
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Sprinkle almonds into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, milk, oil and extract; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in orange slices.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing the cake from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, bring glaze ingredients to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Candied Orange Chocolate Cake in Country Woman November/December 2004, p31
Reviews for Candied Orange Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review