Candied Lemon Peel Recipe
- 8 large lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1. With a sharp knife, score each lemon, cutting peel into four wedge-shaped sections. Loosen and remove peel with a spoon (save fruit for another use).
- 2. Place peel in a large heavy saucepan and cover with cold water.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Drain and repeat. Cool for 5 minutes. Carefully scrape off excess pulp from peel. Cut the peel into 1/4-in. strips.
- 4. In another saucepan, combine sugar and water; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon strips. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until peels are transparent, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to wire racks placed over a baking pan. Let stand for 1 hour. Sprinkle superfine sugar into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. pan. Sprinkle strips over sugar; toss to coat. Let stand for 8 hours or overnight, tossing occasionally.
- 6. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each strip into chocolate mixture; place on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Yield: 1 pound.
1/2 ounce-weight: 96 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), trace protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Candied Lemon Peel
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.